TEN OF THE MOST TALENTED and promising young opera singers in Mexico were chosen as finalists for the 11th Concurso San Miguel. More than 600,000 MN in career grants and many thousands more in performing opportunities and scholarships were awarded. The Grand Finale and Concert was held on March 2, 2019, at 7:30 PM, Teatro Angela Peralta, in San Miguel de Allende. These were the results of the very competitive grand finale.
Marion M. Kelley Foundation 1st Prize, and direct entry to the Semi-final round of this year’s Concurso Morelli;
Jeunes Ambassadeurs Lyriques Prize, opportunity to audition in Montreal for opera directors from 10 countries and to compete for the International Prize;
Direct entry to the Semi-final round of the International Voice Contest in Marmande, France.
1. Salut, demeure, chaste et pure from Faust by Charles Gounod
2. È la solita storia del pastore from L’arlesiana by Cilea
Amistad Canada 2nd Prize;
Invitation for a six-month Fest contract at Theater Regensburg in Bavaria, Germany.
1. Ella giammai m’amò from Don Carlo by Verdi
2. Il lacerato spirito from Simon Boccanegra by Verdi
Invitation to join a quartet of singers for an opera gala at the St. Eustache (Quebec) Opera Festival, summer 2019;
Invitation by the Conservatory Liceo (Barcelona, Spain), Master of Opera Program, to sing the title role in Donizetti’s Don Pasquale.
1. Madamina, il catalogo è questo from Don Giovanni by Mozart
2. Vyes tabor spit from Aleko by Rachmaninoff
1. Depuis le jour from Louise by Charpentier
2. Sì, mi chiamano Mimì from La Bohè:me by Puccini
The Director’s Prize;
Highlands Opera Studio (Haliburton, Ontario, Canada), to sing the role of the Komponist (Composer) in Ariadne auf Naxos.
1. Werther! Qui m’aurait dit…Ces lettres! from Werther by Massenet
2. Parto, parto from La clemenza di Tito by Mozart
Oliver Deehan Memorial Prize;
Prize for Exceptional Integrity, Fortitude, Discipline, Tenacity and Positive Outlook;
Rosewood San Miguel Audience Favorite Prize.
1. Se’il valor vostro from Alina, regina di Golconda by Donizetti
2. Dieu, quel frisson; Amour ranime mon courage from Roméo et Juliette by Gounod
Herman Marcus Memorial Prize;
OSM Encouragement Grant
1. Aprite un po’ quegli occhi from Le nozze di Figaro by Mozart
2. Riez, allez, riez from Don Quichotte by Massenet
Lee & Victoria Tashjian Prize;
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity (Alberta, Canada), Opera in the 21st Century Program, Summer 2019, to sing roles in two world premieres.
1. Avant de quitter ces lieux from Faust by Charles Gounod
2. The Ballad of Baby Doe from Warm as the Autumn Light by Moore
Youthful Potential Prize;
1. Je dis que rien ne m’épouvante from Carmen by Bizet
2. Mèsíčku na nebi hlubokém from Rusalka by Dvořák
Prize for Outstanding Interpretation and Style.
1. Sì, ritrovarla io guiro; Dolce speranza, freddo timore from La Cenerentola by Rossini
2. Wie eine Rosenknospe from Die lustige Witwe by Lehár
BELOW ARE THREE VERY TALENTED young singers who were invited to the Concurso. Although they did not compete, we believe these young singers to have a special talent that deserves encouragement. They participated in coachings and master classes, and performed for the Concurso audience during the judges’ deliberations. We know we will be hearing more from them in the future.
O luce di quest’anima from Linda di Chamounix by Donizetti
Se Romeo t’uccise un figlio; La tremenda ultrice spada from I Capuleti e i Montecchi by Bellini
Di piacer mi balza il cor from La gazza ladra by Rossini